Saturday, January 7, 2012

Life


So, I've been in serious decluttering mode.  It started with clearing off my dresser, which has been on my to-do list for literally a year.  Next I decluttered and organized the linen closet.  Then came the sock/jewelery/receipt/coupon/anything I don't know what to do with so I'll stash it here drawer.  I even reorganized the junk drawer (you know, the real one). 
 Once that was done, I decided that the only way to KEEP it done was to do a routine cleaning chart.  The kind where you think of every minute, tedious, horrible big or little thing you might possibly want to scrub, straighten, or sanitize, and then assign tasks by day, week, month, season, year.  All in the name of cleanliness and order.  So I spent a few weeks carrying around a piece of paper, and every time I would think of something new, I would add it to the list.  I thought of everything- from dusting the ceiling fan to cleaning out the gunk that collects on the bottom of the baskets for dirty laundry.  A very impressive list, I must say.
Well, in all of my new-found sense of organization, I lost the list.
So then came the cleaning out of the top drawer of the buffet (the junk drawer overflow) because I didn't know where else to look.  Well, I never found the list.  But I did find this gem.



From a game of I don't know what generation.

I also found this picture of Elias taken by his nursery leaders when he had just turned two.
 

 

I don't know if you recognize the look on his face, but it's sort of a cross between deer in the headlights and 'don't come one step closer or I'll jump'.  That pretty much sums up Elias' attitude toward others as a baby.   Skeptical. 


 But, oh those eyes, that crooked grin and that perfectly shaggy hair.

Isaac, however, wasn't shy at all.  Just choosy.  And he almost always chose Mom.  He once cried for five hours for my very patient sister (I love you Carolyn!).  But if he decided he liked you, he was all chubby cheeks and smiles.



And then there's sweet Olivia. 



Can you say perma-grin?  And no, that's not static. 



5 comments:

Carolyn said...

I had repressed that memory. Now that you've brought it up, I think you might owe me. I do love Liva Liva (as Grant would say). Her hair and face make me smile. I also loved how Laney was hovering around screaming Isaac. Nothing would deter her.

Nicole said...

I remember how scared of me Elias was whenever I'd come around. It was so awesome when I came to visit a little while ago and he loved me by the end of the trip and cried because I had to go. Does Isaac still say everything that Elias does? I loved that. His little voice is the best. I think Olivia is the cutest thing I've ever seen.

Jen said...

Carolyn- I really do owe you still for that one. And Nicole, you are so sweet. And yes, Isaac still says everything Elias says, right after he says it. Luckily, Elias hasn't figured out yet that that's a bit annoying :)

julie said...

I love your idea of writing down everything that needs to be done around the house and then assigning a time to do it. I've thought about something like that before but never actually done it. Things like clean behind and under the fridge, the base boards (do other people clean theirs more regularly than I do??), the walls (same note as before), etc. I giggled when I read that you lost the list. That was funny. I hope you find it, but at least you cleaned your drawer! You're set for a whole year, in my opinion. :)

Looking forward to hanging out with you guys again!

Lynnette said...

Like Julie, I love your idea of the list. The only difference is instead of thinking "I should make a list like that" I thought "I sould have Jen email me a copy of her list". I don't think I'd have the energy to make it (twice, in Jen's case). Hope you find it! And I love Liv's hair!!