Monday, September 14, 2009

It's a nice monster, not a scary monster






Elias' one birthday cake request was that it be a nice monster, and not a scary one. Well, it was also a short one. I made two cake rounds, one bigger than the other, so that I could stack them and get a sort of Jabba the Hut type body. I took the cakes out of their pans to cool, left them unattended for about five minutes, came back, and found Elias on a chair devouring the bigger cake round. Isaac, of course, was standing at the chair begging for the scraps to be thrown down. At least Elias was sharing. I'll give him that.
They really are partners in crime. The other day, Jeff and I had them all ready for bed- freshly bathed, diapered, and jammied. The only thing left was teeth. We got distracted for a minute, and when I went into the bathroom, I found Isaac sitting in the sink, which was filled up to his chest with water. He had a toothbrush in each hand, both were in his mouth, and he was going to town brushing his teeth. Elias was standing on the counter handing things out of the medicine cabinet to Isaac. Again, at least he was sharing.

But Elias gives the best reactions. He looks genuinely surprised and excited at everything. He reminds me of my sister Nicole. If you really want a good reaction out of someone, that's who you call. We got Elias a bike this year and he was in such shock that all he could say for the first few minutes was "It's mine!" I really thought we might have to lay him down and elevate his feet.


And to make you feel like you're in the 1920's, here's a silent video taken on our high-quality camera.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

LOVE the cake! It's so adorable! I also think your anecdotes about your boys are terrific. It's so clear how much you love them!

Melissa said...

The cake is adorable!! Boys are too much fun, aren't they?!! I love to read all about your adventures in mommyhood. Thanks for making me laugh.

Willy The Prince said...

You are such a great cake decorator. May another skill I must learn.

You have the best stories girlie.

Lov

Heather

julie said...

Hey Jen! Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you! I'm so glad you found me and that now I know "where" you are. I'm going to enjoy catching up with you through your blog.

Your boys look and sound adorable! How old are they? (I'm too lazy to see if you've written their ages somewhere. *smile*)

Do you ever make it down to Cedar? One of these times, you, Melissa, and I need to get together - it's been ages! I think the last time I saw you was at your wedding reception! Good grief. That's too long ago.