Sunday, January 12, 2014

And a Happier New Year

I'm really not one for New Year's resolutions- they feel a bit like a death-bed repentance to me.  Promised out of guilt, broken in complacency (prime example: my vow to change and go to sleep earlier after going to sleep at the wheel.  Yes, I am writing this in the wee hours of the morning.  But it's just so peaceful!)  But Jeff and I started talking with the boys about what we could each do better this year.  I said I knew what I could do, and the boys said it (with a little too much enthusiasm) before I could- be nicer!  And we should play more games.

The conversation actually started with Jeff talking about the role of each family member.  He asked them what Mom does for them and they were left scratching their heads.  Dumbfounded!  Finally, after a long and somewhat ridiculous silence, Isaac remembered that one time, (One time!) I cleaned their room for them (and I feel the need to say that the time he was referring to was mostly so that Grandpa and Grandma wouldn't have their air-mattress popped by a stray toy. You're welcome).

I'm a stay at home mom. That pretty much means that every waking moment is dedicated to taking care of them in some way. And by waking moment, I'm including the regular middle of the night fright I get from someone with their face about two inches from mine.

I laughed and laughed about how funny it was- it's like they just don't care at all.  They definitely take for granted clean clothes, prepared meals, debri-free floors (you know, like we all did- thanks, Mom!).  Then I realized that they really just don't care at all.  All they really do want is to play more and be loved.

So my New Year's resolution is to be nicer.  Specifically, to use my nice voice and not jump to conclusions.  And to play more games, of course.










2 comments:

Carolyn said...

At least now you've documented with pictures at least one time of playing games. So they can't say you never did! And they will never really appreciate you until they move out on their own and have to pick up their own toys. But at least your sisters know what an amazing mom you are!! :)

Nicole said...

Thanks for the reality check that kids just really don't care how clean the house is. I will try very hard to remember your words of wisdom when I'm tired and really just don't want to play any games because of the effort it will take in playing them. I already feel this way at work a lot of times! And Carolyn's right, your sisters know how good of a mom you are:)