Friday, September 21, 2012

A rose by any other name

Introducing...

Fred.  No wait, George.  No, let's make that Billy.  How about Gus?  Roland?  Perry?  Someone help.  Oh, wait.  We did it.  It's... 

Our newest baby boy!!!  He is so sweet and he has a crease between his forehead and nose that I just love.  His eyes look like Elias' eyes as a baby, but his overall look reminds me of Isaac.  Luckily for both of them, I don't see much of Olivia in him.  He has dark hair and dark eyes and he doesn't have jaundice, which is a first for us and so nice because you can actually wake him up.  But he still has the newborn sleepiness and I love his tiny head, tiny features, tiny arms and legs and hands and feet.  His cute little top lip puckers out, and he didn't get the Montgomery ears, which would have made great-grandma Montgomery very proud.  And after he was born, every name that we had ever considered seemed wrong.

So we pored through list after list, looked at name meanings, slept on it, ate on it, gave it up for a day, and finally stuck a name on the birth certificate form at the hospital literally minutes before leaving. 

And then I spent the afternoon at home crying about it in a fit of postpartum depression. 

So, assuming that all goes well amending the birth certificate and changing the social security card (who has two forms of ID for a new baby?), welcome to our little family, Caden Michael.

Just don't hold it against me when you ask me what his name is and I sit there with a blank look on my face.  You know, like I did when I called the pediatrician to set up his two week appointment.  They now have him listed officially as "baby boy."  I had to ask my MOM what we named our own child.  I knew he HAD a name- it had given us enough trouble.  But we love you, little Caden!






8 comments:

Mindy said...

Congratulations! Naming boys is a challenge! I hope all goes well with the name change. He's adorable!

Nicole said...

Oh I just love him. Is it telling that Olivia is in almost every one of those pictures? Glad it went so well!! Can't wait to meet him.

-A said...

The YW will be so pleased to know that your sweet baby has a name. They were looking pretty concerned on Thursday that he had been nameless for a week and I was laughing at them. Naming a baby is such a stressful job!

He's a cutie!

Lynnette said...

Reggie Lampert: So it's goodbye Alexander Dyle and welcome home Peter Joshua.
Adam Canfield: [shakes his head] Sorry the name is Adam Canfield.
Reggie Lampert: Adam Canfield? Wonderful! Do you realize you've had three names in the past two days? I don't even know who I'm talking to any more!

Reggie Lampert: Oh, I love you, Adam, Alex, Peter, Brian, whatever your name is, I love you! I hope we have a lot of boys and we can name them all after you!

Congratulations, we love him! And thank you for letting us re-live a favorite childhood movie through your life this week :)

Carolyn said...

I love him! And I think it is a great name. He totally looks like a Caden! Not at all that other name. :)

julie said...

Congrats! He's a cutie!

Steve and I struggled to come up with a name for a boy dog - I can't imagine how much harder it is to come up one for a human boy! I don't know what you had picked out, but Caden has a great ring to it.

I hope you and all your family are doing great!

Karalee Ann said...

Congrats!! He is so cute!! His name is adorable! It is so hard finding names!

Abbey said...

Great name. Darling kid. I feel so behind...I just can't believe you guys are on number four. Where did the time go? Good job, Jen. Miss you guys. :)