Christmas time always makes me think of my grandma, but especially this year. She made us a new ornament every year from the time I was six until she couldn't do it anymore, and the arrival of the ornament box was one of the most exciting events of the season. An early Christmas present. All of those are now hanging on my own tree (in the highest branches, of course, safe from grubby, destructive fingers and a curious cat) as a reminder of the hours and dedication put into her grandchildren.
She made my Christmas stocking, my Christmas afghan,
she and my grandpa gave me the vase I display every year stuffed with poinsettias.
She made the first pumpkin chocolate chip cookies I ever tasted.
She made homemade jam and pancakes for breakfast every time we went to see her.
She made me the quilt I kept on my bed all growing up.
I never realized how much of myself I have to attribute to her until I was listening to my Uncle Brett a month and a half ago at her funeral.
So many of those same traditions I carry on from my mother, who carried them on from my grandmother, who probably learned them from her own mother.
So, thank you Grandma, for passing on a piece of yourself.

3 comments:
Love this. I realize how much tradition has enriched my life at Christmas time as well. My tree is full of memories.
I couldn't agree more! And don't worry, you are too crafty and cooking-y to not pass a little of those traditions on to your girl :)
I'm sure you will pass on all your traits, including the cooking and the stubborness. But hopefully also the red hair. I like that trait and Maren could use a friend.
Or, maybe not, it may be her claim to fame.
Post a Comment