Monday, December 7, 2009

All I want for Christmas

Elias has recently become obsessed with scissors. "I want to cut" is the catch phrase of the day. Since I have no kid-friendly scissors, I've been telling him that Santa will bring him some for Christmas. The perfect stocking stuffer, right? So, Elias was really excited when he found out that Santa would be coming to our ward Christmas party on Saturday. They read the Polar Express and when Santa came, he gave each of the kids a cute little silver jingle bell when they sat on his lap. Well, when Elias' turn came, Santa asked him what he wanted. Did I mention that my children are a little shy? His chin was tucked tightly into his shoulder and we all saw his mouth moving, but no sound was coming out. It was straight out of the Seinfeld low-talker episode. After a minute, Santa turned to Dad for a little help. Scissors and a train. He has been asking for scissors and a train about five times a day for weeks. Well, Santa did his job just right- he gave a nice ho-ho-ho and tried to hand Elias his silver bell. Which Elias very grumpily refused. Three times. So once again, Santa turned to Dad and gave HIM the bell. Isaac just flat out refused to sit on Santa's lap, but happily took the bell. We didn't think much of the encounter until we got home and Elias burst into sad little tears and sobbed for about fifteen minutes because Santa came, but didn't give him scissors. Oops. Lesson learned.

No comments: