Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Will that be a bob or a mop-top?

So, yesterday we escaped our winter prison and went out to do a spring clean on the yard. Jeff pruned the trees, and I raked up last year's death of leaves and fruit that got buried in the snow. Mindless raking gives you a lot of time to think, and I started remembering my old days as a hairdresser. Growing up, the north side of our lawn was always lush, green, and about eight to twelve inches long. The perfect length for a trim. So my sisters and I would grab the wide-toothed combs out of the bathroom and my mom's good sewing scissors and go to town on the lawn. We would each take a circle of grass about the size of a head and talk to it about general things. You know the usual adult chit-chat: How's the family? Are you busy at work? Yeah, my kids are driving me crazy too. Once the trim became a buzz, we would move on the the next customer. I'm convinced that my dad intentionally didn't mow that section just to let us have some entertainment. I'm also convinced that that's where I picked up my green thumb. I actually don't have much of a green thumb at all, but my plants are all grown with a whole lotta love. This year, I have decided to channel my love for all things green into a square foot garden. So, I'm taking the ugliest space in the yard











and come summer, I should have a luscious, green space where I can talk to my newest customers and trim to my heart's desire. And you think I'm kidding.

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I have heard lots about square foot gardening, but I really haven't looked into it. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes. We need to start on our garden, tilling and racking and all that fun stuff. Yeah, I can't wait! Anyways we too have been loving the warmer weather and have been outside a lot. The boys are sure cuties!

Mindy said...

I'm curious to see your square foot garden. I'm sure it will be great. We tried it, but nothing grew. I'm certain it was user error, though. ;0)

Grampy and Grandma Dot said...

We've tried to comment before and it never works. My favorite part of your "garden" is the two boys that are growing in it! Love ya!

Monica said...

Aaah the good ol' days. Now I have to do REAL hair (although I don't cut it) and I'm about as good as I was back then on the grass. I'm going to call you tomorrow so that you can tell me how to do the garden. Maybe I'll try it if I get ambitious (is that spelling even kind of right?)

Joy said...

Your boys are so stinking cute! I can't wait to see pictures of your garden!