Thursday, October 27, 2016

Close Encounters of the Weird Kind

Jeff woke up this morning singing "Happy Birthday to you, you're as old as Kung Fu!"  I thought he was going to say you live in a zoo.  Which would be more accurate.

It's no secret that my children horrify me regularly.  And I sincerely mean that.  Especially when it's time to clean the bathroom for the third time THAT DAY.  Sometimes I think my germaphobe self isn't going to survive.  I am pretty frequently left in a stupor of shock at what they do or come up with, whatever it is.  You would think it's Halloween around here all of the time.


Sometimes I'm not so sure I don't live in the Twilight Zone.  We definitely dabble in legends and paranormal activity.   You've just seen our monsters and zombies.  This summer, we took our family back to the Seattle area, where Jeff and I met.  While there, we drove past the building where I used to work.  It had been an old, abandoned hospital that was known throughout the community to be haunted.  I can't confirm anything, but I, in a professional manner, of course, speed-walked in fear through the still-abandoned section every time I had to cut through it.  I may or may not have felt a hand on my shoulder once.  Okay, I made that up.  


I think the ghosts may have followed us home.

Also a dementor.



This summer we were visited by Swamp Thing and her cousins.  And her brother.



Even if we hadn't caught it on camera, the evidence was everywhere.

We also took a family drive searching local reservoirs and lakes for prime camping/fishing territory.  Well, in our wanderings, we found the spookiest deserted reservoir tucked back across private property.  It had the eeriest feel of anywhere I've ever been.  INCLUDING the abandoned hospital.  It looks pretty in the picture, but don't be deceived.  It's pure creepiness.  I thought for sure we were going to be taken by wildlife or aliens.







So, I may not live in a zoo (although that is still up for debate).  Instead, I live in a cross between an episode of X-Files and Sesame Street.  But I'll take it.  Not a bad ending to close my decade.

No comments: