The other day, I was listening to a song on the radio in my car that came out my freshman year of college. I use the terms freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior VERY loosely, but I can confidently say that my first year was, indeed, my freshman year. The song was "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and it even inspired a group of us to rent the movie, which was very weird, by the way. So, I'm jamming in my car, reminiscing about food fights (true story, shamefully) and prank wars, and then all of a sudden, I realize that the song is almost TWENTY YEARS OLD.
Well, when I was growing up, our choices in music stations were limited to one country station and Soft Sounds of the Seventies. Since country was out and we had no control over the radio anyway, we were constantly begged to "Do that to me one more time," or reminded "Don't cry out loud." It was pretty much parental torture. And a little embarrassing, to be quite frank. The songs were OLD and old fashioned, not to mention a little too mushy for pre-pubescent ears. But let's be real. You were living in the past, Mom & Dad. Well, those songs were nowhere NEAR twenty years old at the time.
Another slap in the face of reality: I got my driver's licence renewed this last birthday, and it was the first time that I felt like I looked like a mom of four, creeping toward middle-aged woman.
A certain, "mature" woman that I know, who will remain nameless to protect the tooth-less, was talking to me through puckered lips about how she still felt the same as she did when she was 18 and she really didn't know where all those years went (although I think something must be happening to her memory since she forgot to put in her teeth).
Isaac asked me the other day how the mountains were formed. I told him it was probably from a giant earthquake a long time ago. Then he asked if I remembered it. And to top it off, he was sincerely shocked to learn that it happened even before my time. With huge eyes, he said, "that must have been a LONG time ago!" But the best part is, I remember having that exact conversation with, and thoughts about, my dad. Sorry, Dad.
Isaac also drew our family picture. Notice how thin everyone (else) looks. I love this picture. I laugh every time I see it.
So, it really is all about perspective. All of a sudden, "old as the hills" applies to me (thanks, Isaac). But more importantly, Time keeps on ticking, ticking, ticking... into the future. Jeff and I have been married eight years this month, Elias starts First grade next year and Isaac is right on his heels starting Kindergarten. Sweet Olivia is a tease and little baby Caden is a big fat baby boy who sprouted teeth and loves avocado.
But when you think of how much time is passing, Don't cry out loud. If not your youth, at least you still have your teeth!


4 comments:
I love that family picture!! How funny that you posted your Driver's License picture to show how old you look and before I read what you had written I thought, Jen looks so pretty. How fun that you have a cute family of 4!
I don't think you look at all old in that picture! You just look like a normal, over worked mom of four! Sometimes I hear those old songs and I think "How could they let us listen to that!".
Oh my gosh I totally remember that night!!!! That is the night we made dinner for the boys and baked cotton balls in the cupcakes!! Too funny
PUUUU LEEEAASSSEEE
Middle age - you look the SAME (except with better hair, because let's admit, back in those days our choice of hair was interesting...)
You are a gorgeous (and a hilarious writer) girl.
XOXO Heather
Post a Comment