Tuesday, January 19, 2010

It's all about perspective

Unfortunately, I was blessed with a terrible memory. My childhood memories are few, but they do begin with kissing Brandon (the lucky neighborhood boy) in our unfinished basement in Richfield when I was about four. I also remember looking at the pickles my preschool teacher made. And walking along the rain gutter while breaking the news to my dad that I would not be moving with the family.

One very distinct memory is of growing up in a large family. Everything was evenly shared. The rare treat of King Vitamin cereal was evenly divided into eight bowls. The banana cream ice cream pie was cut into eight wedges to be distributed evenly, and my sister recently reminded me of the bitter-sweet memory of rocking with my mom. Even her lap was evenly shared. If you wanted to rock, you could be sure that everyone (within rocking age) wanted a turn. So she would set the timer on the stove and we would each get those few treasured minutes of rocking bliss, curled up on mom's cozy lap. And then that buzzer buzzed and you got bumped. Ah, the memories.

Another memory I have is of jumping off of the sand-dunes on a school field-trip. In my childhood memory, the dunes were as tall as a building and when you jumped, you caught a good twenty feet of air before you landed rolling, arms and legs flailing, down the steep sandy slope. Well, this weekend, I finally made it back to those sand dunes. We took a trip to Southern Utah (where I grew up, so you'd think I would have made it back sooner) with my parents and sister and her family. We actually went last summer, but since the sand was 120 degrees on our bare feet, I never ventured out to the actual dunes. In the winter it was a balmy 50 degrees. Perfect temperature to numb the feet. Well, the dunes weren't exactly as tall as a building. Or maybe they just weren't so steep. But you could still jump off. And I tell you, even if it wasn't quite like a flying dream, we sure enjoyed those three feet of air. Unless you're Carolyn and you just run down.





Another childhood memory is of riding horses. That one time. And I thought that they were these crazy wild beasts that were just waiting for the right moment to buck you off.



I pretty much still feel that way.

8 comments:

Shelane said...

So where exactly is this? I want to go, it looks like a blast.

Jen said...

It's at Snow Canyon near St. George. It's worth it just to see all of the luxury resorts on the way up. Can you say money?

Nicole said...

I don't remember the timer for rocking. I got all the time I wanted. I do remember the pie and the cereal though. And we'd write our names on a slip of paper and put it in the cereal bowl and set it in the cupboard to save it for later. Wish i was there.

Melissa said...

Oh looks like so much fun! I remember that trip to Snow Canyon, was it for Honor Society or something? What great memories to make with your kids!

Carolyn said...

Hey! Someday soon I'm going to post pictures of me doing some serious stunt jumps off those twenty foot high dunes. And Isaac looks so happy to be on that horse, Smiffy. I wonder if those banana cream pies would be really gross now. Because I remember them as really yummy.

Jen said...

I still think they're yummy. But while we were there I was craving jello powder because I needed a treat, so I don't know how dependable my taste is.

Jen said...

And sorry you didn't make any of the pictures- nepotism, I guess. Oh wait... But I got home and realized that I'm self-centered and forgot to steal pictures of anyone else. Oops.

Willy The Prince said...

Cute. I love your memories. I feel the same about horses. Those creatures are scary.

Love Heather